(Un)Fortunately we live in a world where books aren’t the only form of entertainment. So for today’s BookBlogWriMo post I’m going to tell you what I watch when I’m not reading.
Well, I’ll be up front with you. I’m reading when I watch TV. I find it very difficult to simply sit in front of the TV and just watch it. Sometimes I’ll sew or something (I cross-stitch. I know, very old lady of me). But most of the time I read. I’m a fabulous multi-tasker when it comes to reading. I spend a lot of time in college reading while walking to class. I do, however, draw the line at reading while in a movie theater. I figure if I’m paying $10 or more to watch the movie I’m going to watch the freaking movie.
Anyway, I don’t watch very many TV shows regularly, and the ones I do I typically record and binge watch every few weeks. I’m rarely on top of whatever conversations are going on about the latest episodes. But here’s what I do watch:
- Outlander on Starz – Duh! Of course I watch this show. Religiously. With my bestie. So amazing, and so worth the wait! Squee! Swoon! Stuff like that! Except for the freaking six month mid-season break. Where’s my time machine? Or standing stones? Are there any here in Texas? Let me know.
- The Strain on FX – I have really diverse taste in books, movies, and TV. This one happens to be based on a book, which isn’t a coincidence. I watched the show because I enjoyed the book. And considering it’s a TV show, I think they did a damn fine job. I’m psyched for next season.
- The Knick on Cinemax – The trailers sucked me in. I mean all those flashes of the surgeries and beautiful period clothes. The modernish music that reminded me of Alien. I was a goner. And the show hasn’t disappointed me. Each episode is amazing. Also can’t wait for the next season.
- A whole lot of Disney movies – My son lives Disney movies, so I watch Brave, Monsters, Inc., Monsters University, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, Tangled, and The Incredibles quite often. But the beautiful thing about those movies is that they’re still pretty good the 94th time around.
- Frat Pack movies – Once again something that seems out of character for me. I’m a big fan of movies like Horrible Bosses, The 40-Year-Old Virgin, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, Old School and the like. Again, I can watch those frequently.
- Science Fiction – I love movies along the lines of Ender’s Game, Oblivion, and Elysium. The funny thing is, though, that I’m not a huge fan of reading similar books. Although Ender’s Game was pretty good.
I hope you get the idea. The funny thing is that often I’m afraid to watch the movie or TV adaptation of a book I enjoyed. Like If I Stay. I loved that book, and I’m so worried that the movie will ruin it for me. Same goes for The Fault in Our Stars and Divergent. But I feel like I’d be a total loser living in a cave if I don’t suck it up and watch them. So as soon as they’re available on the movie channels, I’m in. Watch my Twitter feed for rants or praises.